I think I'm about a month behind at this point. So time to, well, catch up. At least a few weekends, hopefully, before I decide to pass out for the night.
We left off ... where, jeez, I can't even remember. Oh, Fleet Week, right. Okay. So ... wow that five weekends ago. Sorry for the stream of consciousness.
The following weekend I spent in St. Louis, where I was able to visit my grandparents and aunt (and sister, for a short time). Plus, I had my first interview experience, which was good. Since I really can't compare it to anything, I think I'll leave it at that. My grandfather took me to a Rams game on Sunday, which was great, as I had never before been to an NFL game. Yes, sacrilege, but since when have I ever been a diehard Wisconsinite. Unfortunately no pictures from that weekend.
The following weekend, I headed down to Cuperinto to meet up with Matt Gustafson '08, who has been just incredibly nice to me the entire time I've been here. I took the Caltrain down to Mountain View, had a quick lunch, and went back to his house to meet up with a few of his friends to go on a hike. We drove up to the top of a ridge, and, in Matt's words, "moseyed" down a trail for a couple miles. It was a very relaxed hike, while offering some spectacular views. Here's Matt looking down in the valley below:

The rock that we hiked up (also great for climbing, lots of handholds). There was also a sweet cave in the back that everyone piled into.


Further into the hike, Matt on a very dead tree:

And a nicer view into the valley:

After the hike, we headed over to the the house that one of Matt's friends, Rebecca, had been house-sitting. We managed to cook a delicious meal (with and without cilantro) of tortillas/burritos with peppers, mushrooms, chicken, guacamole, beans, etc. Mmmm. Afterwards, we sat in a hot tub, enjoyed the really nice evening, and jumped on a trampoline for a while (Bryan managed to fall off and get the wind knocked out of him). I also got to sleep in a bed for the first time in a while at Matt's house. Wonderful.
The next day, I said my goodbyes to the Gustafsons and headed further south to Santa Cruz. I really had no idea what to expect, but in a nutshell, it's a surfing town. Also sports some just incredibly beautiful views along the coast. I started in the middle of town, wandering up and down the main street and meandering to a Patagonia outlet.

I had my fair share of shopping (not much was open Sunday morning), so I headed closer to the beach.

There happened to be a big surfing competition in Santa Cruz that weekend. I grabbed a seat and watched for a while, amazed at the surfers and dismayed at my camera's short lens (there were a ton of guys with ridiculous 1600 mm lenses there).


Oh, the Santa Cruz coast:

A view of the main street in Santa Cruz:

I had a ton of free time that day, so I also looped down to see a park that was recommended by a Patagonia employee called Natural Bridges State Beach. I was lucky enough to see probably several thousand monarch butterflies, which stop annually at this same location as a short rest for their weary wings as they migrate south. Apparently, there's a ton of milkweed there, which is primarily what they eat, plus it's very sheltered from the wind. Cool.
From the park, I headed north to attempt to see the UC Santa Cruz campus. Note that I was walking this entire time (by the end of the day, I'm pretty sure I had clocked 25+ miles). After getting to the top of this massive hill where the campus lies, I was dismayed to find out that, according to the trusty iPhone, the campus was hugemongous! I took a quick break and ended up not seeing any of the buildings on campus, mainly because I didn't want to get back to the city too too late. So from there I headed back to the main part of town, grabbed a bite to eat, took the 17 north to San Jose, and hopped on the Caltrain back to the city.
I really didn't know where to put this in a post, so I suppose here is fine. One of my favorite Palin posters that I saw in the city (I went back to the apartment just to grab my camera). Awesome. It was up election morning.

That's all I can muster for tonight. Much more to come.
1 comment:
I wish I had hikes like that here. Sadly, there is only one on the island worth doing and it is on the opposite side of the island from me. The good note is that you can see cuba from the top, so... fun times for christmas break!
Post another update, fool. You are falling behind. Good luck on interviews!
Post a Comment