Monday was a day of planning and getting prepared. I prepped CD labels (using some Roxio program that I didn't even know I had), printed them out, and proceeded to label 100 cds with the help of Chris, the guy that I work with. We also did some last minute gift bag stuffing/moving around, and made name tags that we didn't even end up using.
Tuesday was the big day. We held a 100 Million Trees Party, i.e. the number of trees that go towards producing junk mail each year, at the Clift Hotel, which has this snazzy, contemporary design (take a look at the pictures on the website if you have a second, they have this really bizarre humongous chair in the lobby). Our spot was on the 15th floor, which holds the Spanish Suite, a really nice bunch of room with nice views of the city; I'm sure it would take a thick wallet to rent the place as an individual. Anyways, we did some last minute preparations at the office and then headed over, where I changed into some nicer clothes and conveniently got to break in some nice black loafers that I'll need for interviews. I might add in advance that I was hoping that Adrian Grenier (you might know him as Vince from Entourage) would show up, since he had signed on to be one of the celebrities to boost publicity of the event. In short, he didn't show, very much in character.
The setup at the real event was more of a pain, and since I'm pretty much the lowest rung on the ladder, I get to do a lot of stuff that no one else wants to do. Like when they don't print out enough bidders cards, I go out to Kinko's to get more paper. But anyways, the event was quite fun even though I was working almost the entire time. For a little over an hour, I was in the lobby greeting people and letting them know where the party was. Afterwards, I got a little break and had a few glasses of wine, and then worked the coat check position until the end of the party. At this point I was rather hungry, and the guys that worked the kitchen were nice enough to bring me a plate of hors d'oeuvres after I had, multiple times, run up to them, grabbed several (pick your favorite hors d'oeuvre, they had everything), and quickly ran away.
Coat check was pretty slow, but I had this other guy from work, Dan, stand by and entertain me almost the entire time. While I was the voice of reason, he was the voice of drunkenness and was very much appreciated.
After the party, we (the ForestEthics staff) headed downstairs to the Redwood Room, which my Dad had told me about in advance (again, take a look of pictures on the website, very cool). It's essentially this huge bar with panels of what I would assume is redwood, and all very contemporary. In fact, it houses these odd digital "paintings" of people that are videotaped but just move ever so slightly once in a while (a blink, or a slight head movement). The drinks were way too expensive here, so we left to go to the nearby bar called Swig (Geary and Shannon). Also very contemporary. I had previously talked to Mike Davitian '07 who is working in the city about staying with him, because at this hour it would've been painful to get all the way back to Kentfield. We headed to his place after a beer in the Marina district, where I slept for the night and went from there to work the next day.
I'm not entirely sure what I did on Wednesday, but it was probably looking stuff up online. Namely, we started looking for progressive/green parenting organizations that could get the word out about our Halloween event, which basically attempts to get people to go out and get signatures for the petition since the holiday is probably the most acceptable time of the year to go out door to door. We also made this bundle of information that is available online called the "Bag o' Tricks" for people interested in learning more -- you have to sign the petition to get it, or you can click this link. Also, if you haven't signed the petition against junk mail yet, do it. It takes two seconds of your time. And tell your friends.
Alrighty, back to the week. Thursday, Mrs. McKenzie was very gracious and helped me move all of my stuff downtown. We also made a stop at the grocery store where I picked up the basics that were not perishable, i.e. cereal (oh, honey bunches of oats), tomato sauce, pasta, bread, spices, peanut butter, jelly, etc. Finally, I stopped at BBB to redeem a couple of coupons that I had forgotten to bring the day before, saved almost $40 bucks. Pretty awesome.
We arrived downtown and I moved all of my stuff in pretty quick, as I don't actually have much stuff here. Mrs. McKenzie and I went to a sushi lunch at this place that she hadn't been to since she and her husband were dating, which was kinda weird, but the place was very good. I'm a big fan of sitting at the sushi bar.
The rest of the day I just explored the area and went to get essential food -- milk, orange juice, garlic, salad stuff, fruits, veggies, beer. I get as much stuff as possible at this little place called ... hmm, well I can't find the name of it anywhere, and naturally I don't pay attention, but it's on the corner of Divisadero and Page. Great little place for most any fruit or vegetable, as well as cheaper olive oil and pasta. For other stuff I go to Faletti's, which is up on Oak and Broderick -- meat, cheese, bread, yogurt, etc. Coffee shops are all over the place. Although my favorite one is closer to work (the Blue Bottle Coffee Company), I'm also a fan of The Grind on Haight, or Corner Coffee on Oak and Divisadero. Another place I have yet to try is Oakside Cafe on Oak and Broderick.
Not entirely sure what I did on Friday, but I'm sure I rambled enough on this post to make someone go crazy. Sorry for the lack of photos.
No comments:
Post a Comment